- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
- 7-year-old struck by car near Walker School
- Final City Market of the season Friday, Oct. 17
- Lee Hamilton: Viewing political corruption more broadly
- Rehearsals begin Oct. 19 for 69th presentation of Handel’s ‘Messiah’
- Amenti Haunted House opens Oct. 17 at DeKalb’s Egyptian Theatre
Free Wellness Fair for local seniors
From press release
Local Shriners are doing their part to help local seniors stay healthy. A free “Senior Circus” Health and Wellness Fair is set for 11 a.m.-4 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 18. The fair will be at the Tebala Shrine Center at 7910 Newburg Road.
Participants in the event will be offered free glaucoma screenings, blood pressure and blood glucose testing and oxygen level screenings. In addition, at 1 p.m., the Winnebago County Health Department will present “Emergency Preparedness for Seniors.”
The Tebala Shrine organization is affiliated with the Shriners of North America, an international fraternity of approximately half a million members. The Tebala Shrine organizes a number of community activities each year. These include the Shrine Circus in early summer, the Blackhawk Vintage Classic in June, the Island Luau Dance in August, and the Karnival of Karnage haunted house in October.
As part of its mission, the Tebala Shrine in Rockford also provides financial underwriting and other support to children from the community who qualify for treatment at Shriners Hospitals.
From the Aug. 11-17, 2010 issue