- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
- Police ask for help in weekend armed robbery
- Belvidere football coach returns to sidelines after hazing probe
- IceHogs split weekend on the road
- Dog and cat adoption event at Children’s Home + Aid Oct. 20
- Arrest warrant issued in string of burglaries
- The Odds Man: Bills, Seahawks good bets in NFL Week 7
- SwedishAmerican to build new clinic in Byron
- Chrysler recall affects 907k vehicles
Madison geek rockers bring interactive show to Freeport Friday, Aug. 13
By Jim Hagerty
Billed as the KISS of geek rock and the Van Halen for nerds, Madison’s Sunspot will bring its Major Arcana tour to Freeport’s Jumpin’ Joe’s this Friday, Aug. 13.
Unlike a traditional rock show, Major Arcana includes videos, crowd interaction and quirky storyline, marking a rock opera that leans toward a tech-driven Rocky Horror Picture Show.
“It’s like watching a movie with a band in front of it,” vocalist and bassist Mike Huberty said.
The story follows the main character, Joe, an IT geek away from home for the first time after college. Missing his girlfriend, Joe immerses himself in personal relationships over the Internet, most notably with a web psychic. The songs, Huberty said, come from the emotional center of what’s going on in the minds of each character.
“Sunspot brings the swagger of the stadium to the pocket-protected masses,” Huberty said. “We’ve been on the road for several weeks bringing our show to the East Coast, South and Midwest. Our Freeport stop is the second-to-last night of the tour.”
A three-piece act, Sunspot debuted the first half of Major Arcana at the SXSW festival in Austin, Texas, last year. It has since been developed into a 90-minute production.
Show starts at 9 p.m. Admission is free. Jumpin’ Joe’s is at 1100 W. Galena Ave. in Freeport. The club can be reached at (815) 235-6145. More information about Sunspot is at sunspotmusic.com.
From the Aug. 11-17, 2010 issue