- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Madison geek rockers bring interactive show to Freeport Friday, Aug. 13
By Jim Hagerty
Billed as the KISS of geek rock and the Van Halen for nerds, Madison’s Sunspot will bring its Major Arcana tour to Freeport’s Jumpin’ Joe’s this Friday, Aug. 13.
Unlike a traditional rock show, Major Arcana includes videos, crowd interaction and quirky storyline, marking a rock opera that leans toward a tech-driven Rocky Horror Picture Show.
“It’s like watching a movie with a band in front of it,” vocalist and bassist Mike Huberty said.
The story follows the main character, Joe, an IT geek away from home for the first time after college. Missing his girlfriend, Joe immerses himself in personal relationships over the Internet, most notably with a web psychic. The songs, Huberty said, come from the emotional center of what’s going on in the minds of each character.
“Sunspot brings the swagger of the stadium to the pocket-protected masses,” Huberty said. “We’ve been on the road for several weeks bringing our show to the East Coast, South and Midwest. Our Freeport stop is the second-to-last night of the tour.”
A three-piece act, Sunspot debuted the first half of Major Arcana at the SXSW festival in Austin, Texas, last year. It has since been developed into a 90-minute production.
Show starts at 9 p.m. Admission is free. Jumpin’ Joe’s is at 1100 W. Galena Ave. in Freeport. The club can be reached at (815) 235-6145. More information about Sunspot is at sunspotmusic.com.
From the Aug. 11-17, 2010 issue