- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
- Week 13 NFL picks: Bears will hand Lions another Turkey Day loss
- Rockford’s holiday tradition Stroll on State set for Saturday, Nov. 29
- Webb’s RVC Studio winter full of love stories
- Tube Talk: ‘American Masters: Bing Crosby Rediscovered’ to be featured on PBS
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: A nice break-in beer for those who want to try bourbon barrel-aged beer
- Tales from the Trough: IceHogs rebound with four straight wins
- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
Madison geek rockers bring interactive show to Freeport Friday, Aug. 13
By Jim Hagerty
Billed as the KISS of geek rock and the Van Halen for nerds, Madison’s Sunspot will bring its Major Arcana tour to Freeport’s Jumpin’ Joe’s this Friday, Aug. 13.
Unlike a traditional rock show, Major Arcana includes videos, crowd interaction and quirky storyline, marking a rock opera that leans toward a tech-driven Rocky Horror Picture Show.
“It’s like watching a movie with a band in front of it,” vocalist and bassist Mike Huberty said.
The story follows the main character, Joe, an IT geek away from home for the first time after college. Missing his girlfriend, Joe immerses himself in personal relationships over the Internet, most notably with a web psychic. The songs, Huberty said, come from the emotional center of what’s going on in the minds of each character.
“Sunspot brings the swagger of the stadium to the pocket-protected masses,” Huberty said. “We’ve been on the road for several weeks bringing our show to the East Coast, South and Midwest. Our Freeport stop is the second-to-last night of the tour.”
A three-piece act, Sunspot debuted the first half of Major Arcana at the SXSW festival in Austin, Texas, last year. It has since been developed into a 90-minute production.
Show starts at 9 p.m. Admission is free. Jumpin’ Joe’s is at 1100 W. Galena Ave. in Freeport. The club can be reached at (815) 235-6145. More information about Sunspot is at sunspotmusic.com.
From the Aug. 11-17, 2010 issue