- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Madison geek rockers bring interactive show to Freeport Friday, Aug. 13
By Jim Hagerty
Billed as the KISS of geek rock and the Van Halen for nerds, Madison’s Sunspot will bring its Major Arcana tour to Freeport’s Jumpin’ Joe’s this Friday, Aug. 13.
Unlike a traditional rock show, Major Arcana includes videos, crowd interaction and quirky storyline, marking a rock opera that leans toward a tech-driven Rocky Horror Picture Show.
“It’s like watching a movie with a band in front of it,” vocalist and bassist Mike Huberty said.
The story follows the main character, Joe, an IT geek away from home for the first time after college. Missing his girlfriend, Joe immerses himself in personal relationships over the Internet, most notably with a web psychic. The songs, Huberty said, come from the emotional center of what’s going on in the minds of each character.
“Sunspot brings the swagger of the stadium to the pocket-protected masses,” Huberty said. “We’ve been on the road for several weeks bringing our show to the East Coast, South and Midwest. Our Freeport stop is the second-to-last night of the tour.”
A three-piece act, Sunspot debuted the first half of Major Arcana at the SXSW festival in Austin, Texas, last year. It has since been developed into a 90-minute production.
Show starts at 9 p.m. Admission is free. Jumpin’ Joe’s is at 1100 W. Galena Ave. in Freeport. The club can be reached at (815) 235-6145. More information about Sunspot is at sunspotmusic.com.
From the Aug. 11-17, 2010 issue