- Smash your pumpkin at Rockford’s Discovery Center Nov. 2
- Control the candy without limiting the Halloween fun
- RHS Ambassadors host Halloween party for hospitalized children
- Beware of the energy-sucking vampires in your home, ComEd warns
- Rockford Park District golf season begins to wrap up
- Two locals to be honored among state’s top college students
- Freshmen in Rockford schools beat state average in ‘on track’ to graduate
- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
River District’s Historical Walk-About Aug. 14
From press release
River District Association will host the second of two Historical Walk-Abouts this summer Saturday, Aug. 14. Residents and visitors are invited to attend the outdoor walking tour.
Rockford has more than 150 years of history, and individuals are invited to join a volunteer guide to discover the rich architectural and historical legacy of Rockford’s downtown River District. They will see the beautiful urban landscape with the gorgeous Rock River, and the exterior of businesses, shops, restaurants, residences, churches, theaters, parks and more. Plus, this is a great way to get some fresh air and exercise.
Start time is 10 a.m. (lasts about two hours; arrive a few minutes early). Meet at Veterans’ Memorial Hall, 211 N. Main St. Free parking is available on the street and in nearby surface lots. The route runs from Main and Wyman streets to Park Street to Elm Street. Cost is $8 per ticket ($5 for River District members). Call (815) 964-6221 to order tickets or purchase at the start of the tour. For more information, call (815) 964-6221.
The tour will include numerous examples of different historic architecture elements including Greek Revival, Art Deco, Beaux Arts, Art Moderne, Classical Revival and Victorian. The tour also includes Beattie Park and a number of buildings on the National Register of Historic Places.
From the Aug. 11-17, 2010 issue