- Governor, AG differ on legality of payroll without budget
- Regular RHA meeting a quiet affair
- Funnel clouds possible through evening
- Smoking bans a breath of fresh air to some, infuriating to others
- Experts break down the SCOTUS gay marriage ruling
- Senators offer insight into population loss
- SCOTUS ruling legalizes gay marriage
- RAMP receives $10,000 grant for youth services
- Obamacare victory shows failure of Scalia’s conservative revolution
- City Market: June 26
River District’s Historical Walk-About Aug. 14
From press release
River District Association will host the second of two Historical Walk-Abouts this summer Saturday, Aug. 14. Residents and visitors are invited to attend the outdoor walking tour.
Rockford has more than 150 years of history, and individuals are invited to join a volunteer guide to discover the rich architectural and historical legacy of Rockford’s downtown River District. They will see the beautiful urban landscape with the gorgeous Rock River, and the exterior of businesses, shops, restaurants, residences, churches, theaters, parks and more. Plus, this is a great way to get some fresh air and exercise.
Start time is 10 a.m. (lasts about two hours; arrive a few minutes early). Meet at Veterans’ Memorial Hall, 211 N. Main St. Free parking is available on the street and in nearby surface lots. The route runs from Main and Wyman streets to Park Street to Elm Street. Cost is $8 per ticket ($5 for River District members). Call (815) 964-6221 to order tickets or purchase at the start of the tour. For more information, call (815) 964-6221.
The tour will include numerous examples of different historic architecture elements including Greek Revival, Art Deco, Beaux Arts, Art Moderne, Classical Revival and Victorian. The tour also includes Beattie Park and a number of buildings on the National Register of Historic Places.
From the Aug. 11-17, 2010 issue