- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
River District’s Historical Walk-About Aug. 14
From press release
River District Association will host the second of two Historical Walk-Abouts this summer Saturday, Aug. 14. Residents and visitors are invited to attend the outdoor walking tour.
Rockford has more than 150 years of history, and individuals are invited to join a volunteer guide to discover the rich architectural and historical legacy of Rockford’s downtown River District. They will see the beautiful urban landscape with the gorgeous Rock River, and the exterior of businesses, shops, restaurants, residences, churches, theaters, parks and more. Plus, this is a great way to get some fresh air and exercise.
Start time is 10 a.m. (lasts about two hours; arrive a few minutes early). Meet at Veterans’ Memorial Hall, 211 N. Main St. Free parking is available on the street and in nearby surface lots. The route runs from Main and Wyman streets to Park Street to Elm Street. Cost is $8 per ticket ($5 for River District members). Call (815) 964-6221 to order tickets or purchase at the start of the tour. For more information, call (815) 964-6221.
The tour will include numerous examples of different historic architecture elements including Greek Revival, Art Deco, Beaux Arts, Art Moderne, Classical Revival and Victorian. The tour also includes Beattie Park and a number of buildings on the National Register of Historic Places.
From the Aug. 11-17, 2010 issue