- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Auditions Aug. 23 for Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra
From press release
Rockford Symphony Youth Orchestra (RSYO) will hold auditions Aug. 23 at Riverfront Museum Park, 711 N. Main St., Rockford. The auditions are by appointment only.
The RSYO is the area’s premier orchestra for student musicians, providing quality, full symphony orchestra training and performance experiences that are engaging, challenging and fun.
RSYO’s 2009/10 season brought new direction, new opportunities, and national recognition for the orchestra.
In his first season as RSYO conductor, Daniel Black created two new ensembles, the Honors Chamber Orchestra and the Brass Choir. Black led the orchestra in three performances throughout the season, ending with the return of 20 alumni of the orchestra, who joined the current members for a special performance. Both the orchestra and the conductor finished the season as finalists for the 2010 American Prize for Excellence in the Performing Arts.
Black continues to increase the opportunities for the members of the Rockford Youth Symphony Orchestra. The upcoming RSYO season will feature a performance with Olga Kaler, professor of violin at DePaul University; the creation of an Honors Woodwind Quintet; and the opportunity to perform side-by-side with the Rockford Symphony Orchestra on the April 2011 Youth Concerts.
The RSYO rehearses weekly on Sundays and performs for the public throughout the academic year. For more information regarding the RSYO, including auditional details, visit www.rockfordsymphony.com/education/auditions.asp. To schedule an audition, call (815) 972-2939 Monday-Friday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
From the Aug. 18-24, 2010 issue