- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Independence Village collection site for recycling used eyeglasses
From press release
Independence Village was recently designated as a collection site for used eyeglasses. Anyone with used glasses or frames can drop them off at the village, which is at 3655 N. Alpine Road.
According to Pat Vaughan, village manager, it’s a natural fit for the retirement center to be a collection site.
“There are a number of residents at Independence village who have some sort of visual impairment,” said Vaughan. “We are helping others with similar vision problems by collecting used glasses and donating them to the Center For Sight and Hearing, where they are sorted and refashioned so they can be used again.”
Independence Village and the Center for Sight and Hearing have other collaborations. For instance, Barbara Schlomann, a vision rehabilitation therapist from the center, conducts an eight-week New Visions class at the village. In this class, those who are visually impaired will learn strategies to function independently within their home, work and community. The class also gives participants an opportunity to share ideas and experiences with others who have visual impairment.
Independence Village of Rockford is an enhanced retirement community that is committed to making its residents’ senior years the best of their lives. Under the direction of the on-site managers, the village staff works tirelessly to meet residents’ needs and exceed their expectations. They do so efficiently and effectively and in an environment that is beautiful, warm and inviting—just like home.
For more information about Independence Village, visit indvillage.com.
From the Aug. 25-31, 2010 issue