- Woman, two teens arrested following narcotics investigation
- Former county officials charged with theft
- New Zion Baptist participates in National Back to Church Sunday Sept. 21
- Donors celebrate new school health center
- Debris cleanup underway near Fordham Dam
- Some good, some bad in Obama executive order on protecting antibiotics
- Two arrested on cannabis charges after search of detached garage on North Henrietta
- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
Michelle Dorr’s ‘Happy Hour!’ opens at Kortman Aug. 27
From press release
Party faces, lovable dogs and vibrant insects are the subjects of Michelle Dorr’s colorful portraits, which will go on exhibit Friday, Aug. 27, in the Kortman Gallery.
Dorr’s exhibition, titled “Happy Hour!”, features paintings of acrylic on canvas that are dazzling and exuberant works of art.
Dorr is a self-taught artist who was greatly influenced by her father, who was a graphic designer with a home studio.
“I grew up in a family of artists and especially loved watching my father create portraits of people and animals,” said Dorr. “I always paid special attention to the way he did eyes, and I never forgot it.”
Dorr has also applied her images to jewelry that she hand makes.
“My jewelry is created from miniatures of my paintings that I cast in resin and adorn with glass seed beads,” Dorr said. “The pieces are casual, fun, wearable art.”
Kortman Gallery Director Doc Salfkosky said: “Because Michelle Dorr’s art is so visually entertaining, we thought this would be a great art show to have in the gallery during On the Waterfront. The whole family will enjoy Michelle’s colorful paintings.”
The Aug. 27 opening reception for “Happy Hour!” by Michelle Dorr will be from 5:30 to 9 p.m., upstairs in the Kortman Gallery at J.R. Kortman Center for Design, 107 N. Main St., downtown Rockford. For more information, call (815) 968-0123 or visit jrkortman.com.
From the Aug. 25-31, 2010 issue