- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Steve’s Auto Repair spearheads food pantry drive
By Jim Hagerty
A Rockford auto repair shop will fix more than brakes, transmissions, motors and valves next month. Steve’s Auto Repair will be doing its part to quell hunger for more than 7,000 people served by the Rock Valley Pantry.
Steve’s will donate a percentage of its labor profits on all work done in September to the pantry. Owner Steve Osterberg has also recruited seven other Automobile Service Association (ASA) members to collect non-perishable food items.
Osterberg’s idea for the pantry drive came after doing repair work on a Rock River Valley Pantry van. A relationship between the two organizations ensued, and the event was planned.
“We realized they are doing good things,” Karen Yates of Steve’s Auto Repair said. “We think they are special people and are doing special things in the community. After talking to them, we said, ‘They need help.’”
Rock River Valley Pantry Executive Director Kim Adams-Bakke said her organization was open to Osterberg’s idea and that having auto repair shops involved is unique and will promote the pantry’s mission to a diverse sector of Rock River Valley residents.
“Steve’s will help us make more people aware of the need,” Adams-Bakke said. “Seven thousand people is a lot to feed.”
Yates said the profit donations will be possible because of a team effort.
“The techs are giving labor profits out of their pockets,” Yates said. “So, this is a company effort. Everybody here is involved.”
Steve’s Auto Repair is at 2013 Harrison Ave. The shop can be reached at (815) 312-4058 or stevesautorepairs.com. The Rock River Valley Pantry is at 1080 Short Elm St. and can reached at (815) 965-2466. Information about the pantry’s services, including how to donate, is at homepage.mac.com/ddenowh/rrvp/help.html.
From the Aug. 25-31, 2010 issue