- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Steve’s Auto Repair spearheads food pantry drive
By Jim Hagerty
A Rockford auto repair shop will fix more than brakes, transmissions, motors and valves next month. Steve’s Auto Repair will be doing its part to quell hunger for more than 7,000 people served by the Rock Valley Pantry.
Steve’s will donate a percentage of its labor profits on all work done in September to the pantry. Owner Steve Osterberg has also recruited seven other Automobile Service Association (ASA) members to collect non-perishable food items.
Osterberg’s idea for the pantry drive came after doing repair work on a Rock River Valley Pantry van. A relationship between the two organizations ensued, and the event was planned.
“We realized they are doing good things,” Karen Yates of Steve’s Auto Repair said. “We think they are special people and are doing special things in the community. After talking to them, we said, ‘They need help.’”
Rock River Valley Pantry Executive Director Kim Adams-Bakke said her organization was open to Osterberg’s idea and that having auto repair shops involved is unique and will promote the pantry’s mission to a diverse sector of Rock River Valley residents.
“Steve’s will help us make more people aware of the need,” Adams-Bakke said. “Seven thousand people is a lot to feed.”
Yates said the profit donations will be possible because of a team effort.
“The techs are giving labor profits out of their pockets,” Yates said. “So, this is a company effort. Everybody here is involved.”
Steve’s Auto Repair is at 2013 Harrison Ave. The shop can be reached at (815) 312-4058 or stevesautorepairs.com. The Rock River Valley Pantry is at 1080 Short Elm St. and can reached at (815) 965-2466. Information about the pantry’s services, including how to donate, is at homepage.mac.com/ddenowh/rrvp/help.html.
From the Aug. 25-31, 2010 issue