- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
YouthBuild Rockford’s 15th class largest ever
From press release
Wednesday, Aug. 18, graduation ceremonies were held at Memorial Hall for the Class of 2010 of YouthBuild Rockford. The keynote speaker was Honorable Judge Ronald J. White, Winnebago County Circuit Judge. One-hundred eight young adults began the program in the fall of 2009, and the ceremonies marked the largest graduating class in the history of the program. In addition to diplomas and individual awards, the YouthBuilder of the Year Award was given to Sergio Ramos.
YouthBuild is recruiting for its next class, which begins Sept. 20. For eligibility information or applications, call (815) 963-6236 or stop by YouthBuild at 917 S. Main St.
About YouthBuild Rockford
YouthBuild is a comprehensive youth and community development program as well as an alternative education program. YouthBuild Rockford, one of 270-plus such programs across the nation, is a year-long program for 16-to 28-year-old, out-of-school, unemployed young people. Participants learn vocational skills in construction or computer technology and construction trainees build affordable housing for low-income families. Each student also participates in basic educational classes leading to a GED.
YouthBuild also provides young people with classes in leadership development, life skills, and employability, and helps youth achieve self-sufficiency through a combination of counseling, support groups and cultural activities.
Graduates of the innovative development program have careers, internships, apprenticeships and post-secondary education waiting for them when they complete the program.
YouthBuild Rockford is a program of Comprehensive Community Solutions, Inc.
The YouthBuild Rockford Class of 2010
→ 94 graduates
→ 44 honors graduates, seven of whom were recognized as National YouthBuild Honors Graduates by YouthBuild USA
→ 23 received their GED while in YouthBuild
→ 46 received AmeriCorps Education Awards totaling more than $82,000 to help pay for college or vocational school.
→ 85 have earned nationally recognized construction credentials, one from the National Center for Construction, Education, and Research (NCCER) and one from Home Builder’s Institute Pre-Apprenticeship Training (PACT)
→ The YouthBuild Rockford Class of 2010 has completed the construction of two new single-family homes, and logged 51,800 hours of community service in the Rockford area.
→ This class brings the total number of YouthBuild Rockford graduates to 524.
From the Aug. 25-31, 2010 issue