- Stockholm Inn to be honored by Illinois Office of Tourism
- Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office to be out in force during Thanksgiving holiday
- Wallace co-sponsors bill to increase minimum wage
- Stadelman’s measure to prevent layoffs passes state Senate
- More than 46 million Americans to travel for Thanksgiving, most since 2007
- Parks and recreation vital to a stronger Illinois, report shows
- Illinois home sales see slight gain in October
- Rockford Rescue Mission on the front lines of battling war on homelessness
- Rockford Area Economic Development Council’s annual meeting highlights tech revolution
- NIU’s Dan Gebo named ‘Illinois Professor of the Year’
Community news and notes: Week of Sept. 1-7, 2010
Rockford native John Kirksey was recently named president of the National Multicultural Institute, which serves and counsels government, corporate and not-for-profit agencies on diversity and multicultural issues. Kirksey is a 1963 graduate of Rockford’s Auburn High School, and becomes just the second president in the institute’s 27-year history. Previously, Kirksey was senior vice president and chief diversity/inclusion officer for AXA Equitable. … The Rockford Network of Professional Women (RNPW) recently elected officers for 2010-2011. Incoming officers included: President Karen Anderson; Vice President Tonya Thayer; Secretary Barb Giolitto; and Treasurer Mary Jo Hare. Through monthly meetings and a scholarship program, RNPW provides its forum to offer encouragement, support and opportunity for women as they develop their carrier and civic or personal pursuits. … Dr. Heather Barrett recently joined the Crusader Community Health Women’s Health Services on Broadway in Rockford. Her specialty is high-risk obstetrics. Crusader Community Health is a community-based, not-for-profit Illinois corporation that serves the Rock River Valley with primary health care for people in need.
Send your “Community news and notes” to The Rock River Times, ATTN: People In Our Times, 128 N. Church St., Rockford, IL 61101; e-mail email@example.com; call (815) 964-9767; or fax (815) 964-9825.
From the Sept. 1-7, 2010 issue