- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Community news and notes: Week of Sept. 1-7, 2010
Rockford native John Kirksey was recently named president of the National Multicultural Institute, which serves and counsels government, corporate and not-for-profit agencies on diversity and multicultural issues. Kirksey is a 1963 graduate of Rockford’s Auburn High School, and becomes just the second president in the institute’s 27-year history. Previously, Kirksey was senior vice president and chief diversity/inclusion officer for AXA Equitable. … The Rockford Network of Professional Women (RNPW) recently elected officers for 2010-2011. Incoming officers included: President Karen Anderson; Vice President Tonya Thayer; Secretary Barb Giolitto; and Treasurer Mary Jo Hare. Through monthly meetings and a scholarship program, RNPW provides its forum to offer encouragement, support and opportunity for women as they develop their carrier and civic or personal pursuits. … Dr. Heather Barrett recently joined the Crusader Community Health Women’s Health Services on Broadway in Rockford. Her specialty is high-risk obstetrics. Crusader Community Health is a community-based, not-for-profit Illinois corporation that serves the Rock River Valley with primary health care for people in need.
Send your “Community news and notes” to The Rock River Times, ATTN: People In Our Times, 128 N. Church St., Rockford, IL 61101; e-mail email@example.com; call (815) 964-9767; or fax (815) 964-9825.
From the Sept. 1-7, 2010 issue