- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Rockford Mass Transit District makes changes to student fare policy
From press release
Effective with the start of the 2010-2011 school year, the Rockford Mass Transit District (RMTD) is making two changes to its student fare policy.
With the start of the new school year, RMTD operators will only accept area middle school and area high school-issued ID cards. All students attending other institutions of learning including advanced learning facilities such as Rock Valley College, Judson College or Rasmussen College or alternative education programs, must have an RMTD Student ID card to qualify for the student discounted rate of 75 cents. To obtain an RMTD Student ID card, a student must go to the downtown transfer center and verify his or her enrollment in an educational program by presenting a current class schedule or transcript. The student must also be able to verify he or she is 20 years of age or younger during the current school year. If these criteria are not met, the student can pay $2, and RMTD will issue the student an ID card signifying they qualify for the discounted student rate.
Additionally, the RMTD-issued Student ID card will now only be valid for one semester or six months. Student riders will be required to obtain a new RMTD Student ID card every January and June, as long as they are age 20 and younger and enrolled in a valid educational program. Anyone with questions about this policy should contact RMTD at (815) 961-9000.
RMTD provides more than 1.7 million rides each year. The district has a fleet of 64 fixed route and paratransit vehicles, and offers 18 hours of service Monday through Friday, 13 hours of service Saturdays, and eight hours Sundays. Rockford Mass Transit also provides service to Loves Park and Machesney Park.
From the Sept. 1-7, 2010 issue