- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Community news and notes: Week of Sept. 8-14, 2010
Rachel Miller, a senior at Keith Country Day School, earned the Right Stuff Award at the Advanced Space Academy at the Marshall Space Center in Huntsville, Ala. The Right Stuff Award is the highest honor given out at the academy for displaying qualities of leadership, self-confidence, the ability to work well with peers, striving for excellence, outstanding program participation, and the unquenchable thirst for knowledge. Miller will graduate from Keith in June 2011. She is one of the captains of the Cougar volleyball team, is very active in student government and is a stand-out in the performing arts. … Seven nurses will be honored during a dedication service Sunday, Sept. 12, at the OSF Saint Anthony Medical Center Chapel for completing the Basic Parish Nurse Preparation Course offered through Saint Anthony College of Nursing. The course follows the curriculum developed by the International Parish Nurse Resource Center, which prepares the experienced nurse to serve a local church in the capacity of parish nurse. Those to be honored include: Catherine Hudson, Rockford; Janis Huff, Belvidere; Connie Kocourek, Stillman Valley; Julie Otts, Rockford; Jayme Singh, Cherry Valley; Helena Stanaitis, Huntley; Richard Theyerl, Loves Park. … Amanda Mehl of Rockford and Sally Bradley of Loves Park were recognized as monthly achievers by fashion jewelry company lia sophia. Mehl is ranked among the top sales representatives in the organization. lia sophia provides direct-selling opportunities, offering jewelry through personalized in-home demonstrations.
Send your “Community news and notes” to The Rock River Times, ATTN: People In Our Times, 128 N. Church St., Rockford, IL 61101; e-mail email@example.com; call (815) 964-9767; or fax (815) 964-9825.
From the Sept. 8-14, 2010 issue