- Man guilty of drug charges faces 60 years in prison
- Rockford BBB aware of ‘Microsoft’ phone scam
- Judge: Chad Grimm will remain on Illinois governor ballot
- Forest-preserve sex sting nets 10
- Armed robbery reported at Machesney Park CVS
- Lee Hamilton: President, Congress should work together on military intervention
- Ethnic Parade and Festival Sunday, Sept. 21
- Symphony begins 80th season Sept. 20
- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
One Green Thing: More than one way…
By Jan Herbert
Rockford Park District
Whether you were “green” before the color was fashionable or whether you’re just ready to find the “shade” that works best for you, here’s information about doing just “one green thing.”
My mother used to say there was more than one way to skin a cat (wonder why I never questioned what this statement meant?) Anyway, bartering was a frequently-used technique where I grew up, and there is nothing greener!
As kids, we used it to trade away our home-baked cookies for store-bought goodies like those cupcakes. Ewwwww. Anyway, whether it is barter or swap, buy or sell…here are some sites to try out.
U-Exchange (http://www.u-exchange.com/home) looks good, too. You sign up as a member, but there are no fees or commissions paid to the site. It is available in 82 countries.
Or, try trashbank (http://www.trashbank.com/). It allows users to sell or barter. Also free, there are easy-to-search categories. Freecycle (http://www.freecycle.org/) is not a bartering network, but it is certainly a great way to get rid of things and maybe get something different.
It may be easiest to get started on one of the most popular sites, Craigslist (www.Craigslist.org). You will find a special section for bartering and a section for free stuff (and, of course, this is also a great way to get rid of things).
If bartering is not something you have experienced before, get a review at this site before you get started—http://money.howstuffworks.com/bartering.htm.
From the Sept. 8-14, 2010 issue