- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Guest Column: Visit Kortman’s ‘Point! Bar’ at Greenwich
By Doc Slafkosky
President, J.R. Kortman Center for Design
The crazy “On the Waterfront” (OTW) weekend is over, and after a relaxing Labor Day time-out, we are back to our regular hours (Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.) here at J.R. Kortman Center for Design. We are happy to say the Kortman Gallery Main Street Lounge was a grand success this year, featuring ARTinis. The Love Lemon, Red Cosmo and Blue Cool were enjoyed by all who imbibed…and we look forward to offering them again at the Kortman Gallery “Point! Bar” at the Greenwich Village Art Fair coming up Sept. 18-19 on the Rockford Art Museum grounds.
The new Main Street turned out to work very well for us for this year’s OTW. It provided a pleasant strolling area for festival goers and great people watching for our outside Lounge patrons. Speaking of our patrons, it was so nice to see so many of you here over the weekend having such a good time. We appreciate your business, and it is good to enjoy such a wonderful event. We thought this year’s line-up of performers at OTW attracted a more sophisticated and interesting crowd.
We also appreciate the efforts of all OTW staff and volunteers who helped make this the cleanest OTW ever.
The streets and sidewalks were kept clean during the entire festival with no overflowing garbage bins anywhere. At the end of the evening, the festival grounds looked great, even before the final clean-up crew came through!
Most of all, we would like to say thank you to our Bar Manager Chris Doyle, bartenders Chad Hobbs and Erin Knoll, Store Manager Nancy Froelich, Michael LaLoggia (set-up), Don Bissel and Kyle Bevers (tear-down). Without their generous help, we would not have been able to have such a successful weekend.
Hope to see you all at the Greenwich Village Art Fair Sept. 18-19 at the Kortman Gallery “Point! Bar.”
Doc Slafkosky is president at J.R. Kortman Center for Design, 107 N. Main St., Rockford. Contact J.R. Kortman Center for Design at (815) 968-0123 or visit jrkortman.com.
From the Sept. 15-21, 2010 issue