- Conservatives join New Hampshire rally in support of campaign finance reform
- 11 public housing residents complete job readiness training
- Youth health care enrollment event at NIU Rockford Jan. 29
- More than 50 employers at Jan. 29 job fair
- School district’s credit rating remains solid
- State Police seize LSD, cannabis, U.S. currency in I-80 arrest
- Park District names employee, team of the year
- A closer look at fracking for natural gas
- Susan Johnson, copy editor, moves on after 21 years
- Guest Column: Clean Water Act: Supporters of clean water must make their voices heard
Guest Column: Visit Kortman’s ‘Point! Bar’ at Greenwich
By Doc Slafkosky
President, J.R. Kortman Center for Design
The crazy “On the Waterfront” (OTW) weekend is over, and after a relaxing Labor Day time-out, we are back to our regular hours (Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.) here at J.R. Kortman Center for Design. We are happy to say the Kortman Gallery Main Street Lounge was a grand success this year, featuring ARTinis. The Love Lemon, Red Cosmo and Blue Cool were enjoyed by all who imbibed…and we look forward to offering them again at the Kortman Gallery “Point! Bar” at the Greenwich Village Art Fair coming up Sept. 18-19 on the Rockford Art Museum grounds.
The new Main Street turned out to work very well for us for this year’s OTW. It provided a pleasant strolling area for festival goers and great people watching for our outside Lounge patrons. Speaking of our patrons, it was so nice to see so many of you here over the weekend having such a good time. We appreciate your business, and it is good to enjoy such a wonderful event. We thought this year’s line-up of performers at OTW attracted a more sophisticated and interesting crowd.
We also appreciate the efforts of all OTW staff and volunteers who helped make this the cleanest OTW ever.
The streets and sidewalks were kept clean during the entire festival with no overflowing garbage bins anywhere. At the end of the evening, the festival grounds looked great, even before the final clean-up crew came through!
Most of all, we would like to say thank you to our Bar Manager Chris Doyle, bartenders Chad Hobbs and Erin Knoll, Store Manager Nancy Froelich, Michael LaLoggia (set-up), Don Bissel and Kyle Bevers (tear-down). Without their generous help, we would not have been able to have such a successful weekend.
Hope to see you all at the Greenwich Village Art Fair Sept. 18-19 at the Kortman Gallery “Point! Bar.”
Doc Slafkosky is president at J.R. Kortman Center for Design, 107 N. Main St., Rockford. Contact J.R. Kortman Center for Design at (815) 968-0123 or visit jrkortman.com.
From the Sept. 15-21, 2010 issue