- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
- Something is rotten in the state of US education
IceHogs begin preseason Sept. 28 at MetroCentre
By Doug Halberstadt
Now that the professional football season has begun, can the start of the professional hockey season be far behind? The Rockford IceHogs of the American Hockey League (AHL) begin their season in earnest in less than one month. Their preseason begins in less than two weeks.
The ’Hogs’ first regular-season game is Saturday evening, Oct. 9, at the Rockford MetroCentre. The game is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. against the visiting Moose from Manitoba. The first 5,000 fans will get a free 2010-11 magnet schedule.
Rockford will have four pre-season games to prepare for their opening game. Their pre-season schedule includes two home games and two road games. The first game is at home Tuesday night, Sept. 28, against one of their in-state rivals, the Peoria Rivermen. That game will start at 6:35 p.m.
The following evening, Wednesday, Sept. 29, the ’Hogs will be on the road to take on their other in-state rivals, the Chicago Wolves. Game time is 7:30 p.m. Rockford will travel to Rolling Meadows to take on the Wolves at West Meadows Ice Arena.
The IceHogs will then host the Milwaukee Admirals in their second home pre-season contest in 2010 Friday, Oct. 1, at 7:05 p.m. Both preseason games are free for full season and 20-pack season ticket-holders.
They will close out their preseason on the road. Rockford will load up the bus and head down to Peoria to face the Rivermen Saturday night, Oct. 2, at 7 p.m.
Tickets for both of Rockford’s preseason games are $5, and can be purchased over the phone at (815) 968-5222, online at metrocentre.com or at the MetroCentre Box Office between noon and 5 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Doug Halberstadt can be reached via e-mail at Dougster61@aol.com.
From the Sept. 15-21, 2010 issue