- Telephone fraud on the rise, BBB reports
- Pet Talk: The seeing eye guide dog birthday
- State Police seize 155 pounds of cannabis during traffic stop
- Mitt Romney won’t run in 2016
- Man shot three times near Oakley Avenue, West Jefferson Street
- Goodwill’s free income tax sites open Jan. 30
- Rock Valley College hosts FAFSA Completion Night Feb. 4
- Stateline Fruit and Vegetable Growers Conference Feb. 5
- Cardiology Millennium Conference Feb. 2
- Scammers lurking to trap last-minute Super Bowl ticket buyers
U of I Extension offers Master Composter certification course
From press release
University of Illinois Extension-Winnebago County is offering a certification course to become a Master Composter. The course will start Sept. 30 and run each consecutive Thursday evening from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. through Oct. 28. The program includes 15 hours of classroom instruction, optional construction of a home worm composting system, tour of the U of I Extension demonstration vegetable garden where participants will see, first hand, the effects of sheet composting and more. This certification course is designed to appeal to individuals interested in learning the science of composting and best practices for home and agricultural composting.
In addition to classroom instruction, course participants will be asked to fulfill 20 hours of volunteer service to the U of I Extension. Volunteer service projects can include working with a school or community garden to provide recommendations on composting systems, giving a presentation on composting to a local group or garden club, answering public questions regarding composting, or writing brief articles to be posted to the U of I Extension website or published in the local newspaper. U of I Extension staff will work with individuals to find a service project that appeals to each participant.
The cost of the program is $50 for Winnebago County residents, $60 for out-of-county residents, and an optional $10 fee for a worm composting bin including the worms to get started. Access a detailed course agenda and register online at www.extension.illinois.edu/winnebago or call (815) 986-4357.
From the Sept. 15-21, 2010 issue