- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
- Raptors, Rangers FC announce June camp
- Student debt 101: dearth of data fuels common misperceptions
- ‘Millionaire tax’ clears House panel
- Memorial Day events at Midway’s LZ Peace Memorial
- Wallace calls for Rockford crime task force
- How we discovered the 3 revolutions of American pop
- Something is rotten in the state of US education
Retraction and affirmation
By Marge Bevers
Former River District Board Member
I would like to retract one assertion included in my open letter distributed at the River District special meeting and reprinted with permission in last week’s issue of The Rock River Times. The assertion was that “a Board member loaned the organization money to cover bills (later reimbursed).” This statement proved to be “an urban legend,” challenged by the one person most in the position to know: Kim Wheeler!
I regret this misstatement in my comments and will take greater care to double check assertions of fact in the future.
Having said that, I am not dissuaded from the basic premise of my comments.
From the Sept. 22-28, 2010 issue