- Northern Illinois to get $8.3 million for state construction projects
- Tree-lighting festival kicks off holiday season in Machesney Park
- Roscoe Boy Scout Troop’s tree stand at new location
- Tips for selecting safe toys for kids this holiday season
- Prayer service for World AIDS Day Nov. 30
- Food Bank joins national #GivingTuesday movement
- Lee Hamilton: What lies ahead for Congress
- Rockford Public Schools faces $8.8 deficit, board OKs flat tax, HR chief
- Literary Hook: A holiday tradition: ‘This Thanksgiving, Remember’
- Cold snap does not negate global warming
Retraction and affirmation
By Marge Bevers
Former River District Board Member
I would like to retract one assertion included in my open letter distributed at the River District special meeting and reprinted with permission in last week’s issue of The Rock River Times. The assertion was that “a Board member loaned the organization money to cover bills (later reimbursed).” This statement proved to be “an urban legend,” challenged by the one person most in the position to know: Kim Wheeler!
I regret this misstatement in my comments and will take greater care to double check assertions of fact in the future.
Having said that, I am not dissuaded from the basic premise of my comments.
From the Sept. 22-28, 2010 issue