- Governor, AG differ on legality of payroll without budget
- Regular RHA meeting a quiet affair
- Funnel clouds possible through evening
- Smoking bans a breath of fresh air to some, infuriating to others
- Experts break down the SCOTUS gay marriage ruling
- Senators offer insight into population loss
- SCOTUS ruling legalizes gay marriage
- RAMP receives $10,000 grant for youth services
- Obamacare victory shows failure of Scalia’s conservative revolution
- City Market: June 26
Stanley Cup trophy will be at Oct. 10 IceHogs game
By Doug Halberstadt
It was back in June when the Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup. It was their first NHL championship in 49 years. Now, the historic Stanley Cup and three other prestigious NHL trophies will be making a visit to Rockford.
The Rockford IceHogs, members of the American Hockey League (AHL) and direct affiliate of the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks, recently announced the Stanley Cup, along with the Campbell Bowl, awarded to the National Hockey League’s Western Conference Champions, Conn Smythe Trophy, given to the Stanley Cup Playoffs Most Valuable Player, and Norris Trophy, awarded to the NHL’s Top Defenseman, will all be in Rockford at the IceHogs game Sunday, Oct. 10, when the IceHogs take on the Grand Rapids Griffins at 4:05 p.m.
Ten former IceHogs were members of Chicago’s first championship since 1961. The cup will be engraved with the names of all the Blackhawk team members from last season.
Tickets for the game are now on sale by calling (815) 968-5222, online at metrocentre.com or by calling (815) 968-5222. Groups of 15 or more can purchase tickets at a discounted rate by calling (815) 847-6399.
Chicago won their first Western Conference Championship since 1992. Jonathan Toews was awarded the Conn Smythe Trophy for his performance throughout the 2010 Stanley Cup Playoffs, and Duncan Keith became the first Blackhawks defenseman since 1995-96 to be honored with the Norris Trophy.
Doors to the MetroCentre will open at 3 p.m., and the trophies will all be on display in the south concourse of the MetroCentre.
For questions about the Stanley Cup’s visit to the MetroCentre, call the IceHogs at (815) 968-5222.
From the Sept. 22-28, 2010 issue