- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
To the Editor: Gaulrapp gave good presentation at candidate forum
A recent Stephenson County Tea Party in Lena featured two of our three U.S. congressional candidates, George Gaulrapp and incumbent Don Manzullo.
For Gaulrapp, it was the lions’ den, as the audience of 160 was largely composed of conservative Tea Party affiliates. The party leader laid out their beliefs, but he did respect that we must have civil discourse with those who have different opinions to have a healthy democracy. He did an admirable job of containing the audience by showing proper respect for Gaulrapp and the president.
I found George Gaulrapp to be admirably honest and straightforward with his answers to the party’s questions—even those obviously contrary to the Tea Party’s stance. Many would be surprised to learn how conservative some of his positions actually are. George Gaulrapp is a true moderate who can work to best represent our district to bring back desperately-needed jobs. Our incumbent congressman is hoping to get his 10th term (20 years) and collect his nice federal pension with no change in the way he’s thought since the beginning. If you feel it’s time for more effective leadership, you will not go wrong with voting for George Gaulrapp.
From the Sept. 22-28, 2010 issue