- Clean water groups, small business owners, community leaders celebrate Clean Water Act
- Police investigate death of 71-year-old man who was struck in October while riding in his wheelchair
- Woman gets 10 years for 2013 involuntary manslaughter
- Secretary of State Police to target abuse of disability parking on Black Friday
- Illinois Commerce Commission approves 500-mile direct-current electric wind power line
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
To the Editor: Gaulrapp gave good presentation at candidate forum
A recent Stephenson County Tea Party in Lena featured two of our three U.S. congressional candidates, George Gaulrapp and incumbent Don Manzullo.
For Gaulrapp, it was the lions’ den, as the audience of 160 was largely composed of conservative Tea Party affiliates. The party leader laid out their beliefs, but he did respect that we must have civil discourse with those who have different opinions to have a healthy democracy. He did an admirable job of containing the audience by showing proper respect for Gaulrapp and the president.
I found George Gaulrapp to be admirably honest and straightforward with his answers to the party’s questions—even those obviously contrary to the Tea Party’s stance. Many would be surprised to learn how conservative some of his positions actually are. George Gaulrapp is a true moderate who can work to best represent our district to bring back desperately-needed jobs. Our incumbent congressman is hoping to get his 10th term (20 years) and collect his nice federal pension with no change in the way he’s thought since the beginning. If you feel it’s time for more effective leadership, you will not go wrong with voting for George Gaulrapp.
From the Sept. 22-28, 2010 issue