- The Rock River Times - http://rockrivertimes.com -
Swedish ambassador’s visit coincides with Sept. 26-29 Bioenergy Days at Coronado
Posted By Brandon Reid On September 24, 2010 @ 9:43 am In Happening Now | No Comments
From press release
Swedish Ambassador Jonas Hafström will visit the Rockford region this weekend, Saturday-Monday, Sept. 25-27, to celebrate Rockford’s connection to its Swedish heritage and further the relationships that have developed between Rockford and Sweden.
The ambassador’s visit will coincide with the International Bioenergy Days Conference taking place Sept. 26-29 at the Coronado Performing Arts Center.
Bioenergy Days began in Sweden in 2006 as a way to bring people together to learn about the latest developments in bioenergy technologies. It now alternates each year between Sweden and the United States, with Rockford hosting the 2010 event. Approximately 150 international attendees will learn about the latest advances in the industry and make important international connections for their businesses, industries and regions.
Ambassador Hafström will also serve as the keynote speaker at the Swedish Historical Society’s Endowment Dinner to support Rockford’s efforts to build a Swedish Cultural Center and further tell the story of Rockford’s Swedish heritage.
Itinerary for Ambassador Jonas Hafström
Saturday, Sept. 25
5 p.m.—Swedish Historical Society’s Endowment Dinner at Mauh-Nah-Tee-See Country Club, 5151 Guilford Road
Rockford—Ambassador Hafström will serve as the keynote speaker for the Swedish Historical Society’s Endowment Dinner.
Sunday, Sept. 26
8:30-9:30 a.m.—Stockholm Inn, Rockford’s Swedish-American Restaurant, 2420 Charles St., Rockford
9:45-10 a.m.—Tour of home being built collaboratively by Swedish and Rockford students—Students of de la Guardia School in Lidköping and East High School students in Rockford are working collaboratively on this energy-efficient home using Swedish technology. This project is being done in conjunction with Bioenergy Days.
10:15-10:45 a.m.—Visit Erlander Home Museum, 404 S. Third St., Rockford—Built in 1871 for Swedish industrialist John Erlander and his family, the 14-room home now features collections including Rockford-made furniture and many artifacts recalling Swedish immigration to northern Illinois and Rockford’s Swedish heritage. This is the first brick home built in Rockford.
11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.—Lunch at Anderson Japanese Gardens, 318 Spring Creek Road—Ranked the No. 1 Japanese Garden in North America, Anderson Japanese Gardens displays several works by Swedish Sculptor Carl Milles, and pieces by Swedish artist Anders Hultman are on display at the gardens until Sept. 30.
12:45-1:45 p.m.—Driving tour of Rockford, featuring:
• Midway Village Museum, 6799 Guilford Road—Midway Village Museum tells the story of Swedish migration to northern Illinois, the influence of Swedish craftsmanship on area industries and the connections between Rockford and Sweden that exists today. A room dedicated to the American Union of Swedish Singers showcases the second-oldest singing group in existence in the USA.
• Peace Plaza, Riverside and McFarland Road, Rockford—The Keeling-Puri Peace Plaza, a highlight of any visit to Rockford, features a Sister City Garden that includes Borgholm, Rockford’s Swedish sister city. Flags surrounding the plaza represent all ethnic groups living in Rockford.
• Rock Valley College, 3301 N. Mulford Road, Rockford—Rock Valley College is a comprehensive two-year community college offering more than 100 courses for transfer, career programs and certificates. Founded in 1965, the college is part of the 48-institution Illinois Community College System. Rock Valley features the Bengt Sjostrom Theatre, home of Starlight Theatre. The theater was constructed in 1983, and is dedicated to the memory of Bengt Sjostrom, builder and civic leader, who was the general contractor when the college buildings were constructed from 1967 to 1971. Sjostrom was president and chairman of the board of Sjostrom & Sons, Inc., the construction firm started by his father in 1914.
2 p.m.—Return to hotel
3 p.m.—Depart for Lake Geneva, Ill. John Anderson will be the host.
Evening—Spend the night in Lake Geneva, Ill.
Monday, Sept. 27
9-10:30 a.m.—Welcome for Bioenergy Days, Coronado Performing Arts Center, 314 N. Main St., Rockford—The Coronado Performing Arts Center was voted the No. 1 Architectural Wonder of the U.S. in an AOL/U.S. Travel Association poll, and was included in a July gallery featuring the Seven Wonders of the U.S. Built in 1927 and fully restored and expanded in 2000, it’s a delightful combination of what architects call “entertainment baroque.”
11:45 a.m.-1 p.m.—Bioenergy Days Opening Luncheon, Riverfront Museum Park Complex, 711 N. Main St., Rockford—Ambassador Hafström will serve as the keynote speaker at the Bioenergy Days Opening Luncheon. This will take place in the recently-expanded space at the Riverfront Museum Park complex. Four culinary students from Halltorp Culinary School (Borgholm, Sweden) visting Rockford for three months will be preparing the lunch. They will be under the direction of international chef and local restaurant owner Josef Schwaiger.
1:30-3:15 p.m.—Visit Hamilton Sundstrand and/or Halldex:
• Sundstrand, 4747 Harrison Ave., Rockford—June 10, 1999, Hamilton Standard and the Sundstrand Corp. merged, forming Hamilton Sundstrand. The company’s heritage spans the course of 100 years, tracing its roots to the founding of the Sundstrand Corp. in 1905 and Hamilton Standard in 1919. With more than 50 major facilities worldwide, Hamilton Sundstrand is among the world’s largest suppliers of technologically-advanced aerospace and industrial products. With headquarters in Windsor Locks, Conn., the company’s revenues reached $5.6 billion in 2009. Hamilton Sundstrand designs and manufactures aerospace systems for commercial, regional, corporate and military aircraft, and is a major supplier for international space programs.
• Haldex—2222 15th St., Rockford—Haldex is a provider of proprietary and innovative solutions to the global vehicle industry, with focus on products in vehicles that enhance safety, environment and vehicle dynamics. Haldex, with headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden, is listed on the Stockholm Stock Exchange. Haldex had a turnover of 5.6 bn SEK and employed 4,281 people in 2009.
3:30 p.m.—Depart Rockford for Chicago O’Hare International Airport
Article printed from The Rock River Times: http://rockrivertimes.com
URL to article: http://rockrivertimes.com/2010/09/24/swedish-ambassador%e2%80%99s-visit-coincides-with-sept-26-29-bioenergy-days-at-coronado/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://delicious.com/post?url=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2010%2F09%2F24%2Fswedish-ambassador%25e2%2580%2599s-visit-coincides-with-sept-26-29-bioenergy-days-at-coronado%2F&title=Swedish+ambassador%E2%80%99s+visit+coincides+with+Sept.+26-29+Bioenergy+Days+at+Coronado
 Image: http://digg.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2010%2F09%2F24%2Fswedish-ambassador%25e2%2580%2599s-visit-coincides-with-sept-26-29-bioenergy-days-at-coronado%2F&title=Swedish+ambassador%E2%80%99s+visit+coincides+with+Sept.+26-29+Bioenergy+Days+at+Coronado&bodytext=From+press+release%0D%0A%0D%0ASwedish+Ambassador+Jonas+Hafstr%C3%B6m+will+visit+the+Rockford+region+this+weekend%2C+Saturday-Monday%2C+Sept.+25-27%2C+to+celebrate+Rockford%E2%80%99s+connection+to+its+Swedish+heritage+and+further+the+relationships+that+have+developed+between+Rockford+and+Sweden.%0D%0A%0D%0AThe+ambassador%E2%80%99s+visit+will+coincide+with+t
 Image: http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2010%2F09%2F24%2Fswedish-ambassador%25e2%2580%2599s-visit-coincides-with-sept-26-29-bioenergy-days-at-coronado%2F&t=Swedish+ambassador%E2%80%99s+visit+coincides+with+Sept.+26-29+Bioenergy+Days+at+Coronado
 Image: http://www.reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2010%2F09%2F24%2Fswedish-ambassador%25e2%2580%2599s-visit-coincides-with-sept-26-29-bioenergy-days-at-coronado%2F&title=Swedish+ambassador%E2%80%99s+visit+coincides+with+Sept.+26-29+Bioenergy+Days+at+Coronado
 Image: http://www.stumbleupon.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2010%2F09%2F24%2Fswedish-ambassador%25e2%2580%2599s-visit-coincides-with-sept-26-29-bioenergy-days-at-coronado%2F&title=Swedish+ambassador%E2%80%99s+visit+coincides+with+Sept.+26-29+Bioenergy+Days+at+Coronado
 Image: http://twitter.com/home/?status=http%3A%2F%2Frockrivertimes.com%2F2010%2F09%2F24%2Fswedish-ambassador%25e2%2580%2599s-visit-coincides-with-sept-26-29-bioenergy-days-at-coronado%2F
 Image: http://rockrivertimes.com/2010/09/24/swedish-ambassador%e2%80%99s-visit-coincides-with-sept-26-29-bioenergy-days-at-coronado/feed
Copyright © 2009 The Rock River Times. All rights reserved.