- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
- Lincoln associates found in recently discovered 1840 Menard County census
- BIFF Year ’Round presents the documentary ‘Slingshot’ Oct. 29
- Rockford’s Discovery Center presents ‘Spooky Science’ Oct. 25
- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
Oct. 2 Solar Tour features Freedom Field
From press release
The Illinois Renewable Energy Association (IREA) has been involved with many interesting programs. Perhaps one of the most unique and significant is Freedom Field in Winnebago County.
The project, located in the Water Reclamation District’s complex, has installed a variety of renewable energy systems, including photovoltaics, two types of wind generators, solar heating and nearly unbelievable solar hot water air conditioning. All are computer connected for instant readout.
Recently, it installed a feature that differs from the others: a green roof. While the other systems are high-tech, focusing on energy production, the green roof focuses on energy saving.
This forward-looking program, which integrates advanced technologies, will be featured during the Oct. 2 Tour of Solar Places. Visit it at 3333 Kishwaukee Road, Building 9, Rockford, between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., to see firsthand some renewable energy technologies that are ready for use now.
From the Sept. 29-Oct. 5, 2010 issue