- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
- The Odds Man: ‘D’ is key in Week 3
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Capital Brewery’s Oktoberfest a delicious, malty lager
- Week 3 NFL picks: Wins for Bears and Packers, losses for Lions and Vikings
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: Catching up with John ‘Brizz’ Brizzolara of 96.7 The Eagle
Oct. 2 Solar Tour features Freedom Field
From press release
The Illinois Renewable Energy Association (IREA) has been involved with many interesting programs. Perhaps one of the most unique and significant is Freedom Field in Winnebago County.
The project, located in the Water Reclamation District’s complex, has installed a variety of renewable energy systems, including photovoltaics, two types of wind generators, solar heating and nearly unbelievable solar hot water air conditioning. All are computer connected for instant readout.
Recently, it installed a feature that differs from the others: a green roof. While the other systems are high-tech, focusing on energy production, the green roof focuses on energy saving.
This forward-looking program, which integrates advanced technologies, will be featured during the Oct. 2 Tour of Solar Places. Visit it at 3333 Kishwaukee Road, Building 9, Rockford, between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m., to see firsthand some renewable energy technologies that are ready for use now.
From the Sept. 29-Oct. 5, 2010 issue