- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
- The Odds Man: ‘D’ is key in Week 3
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Capital Brewery’s Oktoberfest a delicious, malty lager
- Week 3 NFL picks: Wins for Bears and Packers, losses for Lions and Vikings
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: Catching up with John ‘Brizz’ Brizzolara of 96.7 The Eagle
Roots artist Spencer Bohren to play Blues in the Schools, JustGoods
By Jim Hagerty
Roots musician and bluesman Spencer Bohren will perform three shows in Rockford Tuesday, Oct. 5, the Crossroads Blues Society announced.
Bohren will do two Blues in the Schools shows Tuesday afternoon and play the JustGoods Listening Room in the evening.
Known for an acoustic roots-tinged brand of blues, Bohren hails from New Orleans, and has recorded 12 albums since 1986. His Carry the Word project was named Best CD of the Year 2000 by a Louisiana Artist by The Times-Picayune (New Orleans). Bohren also won the Big Easy Award for Best Folk Artist. The single “The Long Black Line” was written about the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, during which Bohren’s family home was nearly destroyed.
Bohren has recorded for several labels including Virgin and Sony/France. His Oct. 5 evening performance starts at 7:30 p.m. The JustGoods Listening Room is at 201 Seventh St. Tickets are $10 in advance and $12 at the door. Advance tickets can be purchased by contacting Mark Thompson of the Crossroads Blues Society at (414) 416-1884.
More information about Spencer Bohren is at spencerbohren.com. Blues in the Schools is aimed at introducing students to blues and how it has influenced today’s popular music. The program is partially funded by the Rockford Area Arts Council.
From the Sept. 29-Oct. 5, 2010 issue