- Meet John Doe: Rockford could benefit from the new Digital Manufacturing and Design Innovation Institute in Chicago
- Tech-Friendly: Surface Pro 3 ad comparing it to MacBook Air is a joke
- Chicago restaurateur Billy Lawless to introduce Obama during immigration speech in Chicago
- Travel Wisconsin Snow Conditions Report assists snow seekers
- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
Art exhibit opens at Rockford College Oct. 8
From press release
Artist Sara Schneckloth deals with imagined microbiological systems in her work. She envisions cells, organs, fluids and tissues, and tries to assemble those elements into a new structure.
Schneckloth will bring this unique style of art to the Rockford College Art Gallery as part of a free exhibition titled “Currents and Flows,” Oct. 8-Nov. 7. An artist’s reception with appetizers and refreshments will be from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., Oct. 8, at the gallery.
Currently residing in South Carolina, where she teaches at the University of South Carolina, Schneckloth works in a variety of media and looks for ways to take drawing beyond its traditional definition as “marks on paper.”
As a special interactive treat for exhibit visitors, she will be coordinating a 9-foot-by-12-foot collaborative drawing that starts with a basic compositional structure with indelible white marks on black paper. Students and gallery visitors are invited to contribute their marks to the piece in layers of color and material.
Art gallery hours are 2-6 p.m., Tuesday; 3-6 p.m., Wednesday; noon-3 p.m., Thursday; 3-6 p.m., Friday; 3-6 p.m., Saturday.
The gallery is closed Sundays and Mondays. Admission is always free.
For a complete schedule of Rockford College Art Gallery exhibits, see www.rockford.edu/?page=ArtGallery. For more information, call (815) 226-4100.
From the Oct. 6-12, 2010 issue