- Lee Hamilton: November’s elections won’t resolve much of anything
- Pec Playhouse Theatre announces auditions for holiday production
- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
Author Emily Yellin to speak at Rockford College Oct. 14
From press release
Emily Yellin, author of Our Mother’s War, chronicling the lives of American women at home and at the front during World War II, will give a free talk at Rockford College’s Maddox Theatre at 4 p.m., Oct. 14.
Yellin has been a long-time contributor to The New York Times. Her work has also appeared in Time, Newsweek, International Herald Tribune and other publications. In 2004, she contributed to a chapter about women in the commemorative book, The World War II Memorial: A Grateful Nation Remembers.
She will also participate in a panel discussion at 7:30 p.m. in Maddox with WWII-era Rockford College alumnae and three Rockford College professors who also wrote a book about the role of women in the war. Professors Catherine Forslund, history; Mary Weaks-Baxter, English; and emerita professor Christine Bruun, psychology, wrote We Are a College at War: Women Working for Victory in World War II, released recently by Southern Illinois University Press.
Yellin and the three professors will be available after the event to sign their books. For more information, call the Rockford College box office at (815) 226-4100. The talk is part of the college’s free Forum Series. To see the series line-up, go to www.rockford.edu/?page=ForumSeries.
From the Oct. 6-12, 2010 issue