- Boys’ basketball holiday tournament tips off tonight
- Ribbon-cutting for Children’s Holiday Shoppe Nov. 26; shop is open Nov. 29-Dec. 21
- Rockford Rescue Mission invites community to Thanksgiving banquet Nov. 26
- Rockton’s new business district welcomes family owned Dr. Detail U.S. Cellular
- 2014 Illinois Emerging Writers Competition winners named
- Open house for new library executive director tonight
- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
Tinker Swiss Cottage offers paranormal tours Oct. 15, 22
From press release
Tinker Swiss Cottage Museum and Gardens is celebrating the month of October by offering unique tours of Tinker’s Cottage on the evenings of Oct. 15 and 22 at 7 p.m.
The evening tours will be hosted in conjunction with the Forest City Paranormal Society and will feature information about paranormal research and its methodology.
Beneath the surface of most societies is a subconscious desire to explore beyond the physical world. Those who participate in such explorations believe that, in so doing, they may understand better the material world in which we live. This was the case in the Victorian era, and is still true today.
Tinker’s Cottage will be decorated with the traditional Victorian “mourning” style, honoring the death of Mary Dorr Manny Tinker in 1901. The Victorian funeral items are on loan from Tara Blazer, and the casket is on loan from the Grace Funeral and Cremation Services.
The cost of the tours is $15 for adults, and reservations must be made for the tour in advance by calling (815) 964-2424. The tour will begin in the Tinker Visitor Center. The regular tour schedule with tours at 1, 2 and 3 p.m., Tuesday through Sunday, will continue through Dec. 23.
The Rockford Public Library with Kathi Kresol is also offering Haunted Rockford Tours Oct. 16, 23 and 29 at 8:30 p.m. The tours are free, begin at the downtown Rockford Public Library and include a tour of the Coronado Theatre, Greenwood Cemetery and Tinker Swiss Cottage. Reservations are required, and can be made by calling (815) 965-7606.
For more information about Tinker Swiss Cottage Museum and Gardens, an affiliate of the Rockford Park District, and located at 411 Kent St., Rockford, visit the Tinker website at tinkercottage.org, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (815) 964-2424.
From the Oct. 13-19, 2010 issue