- Freeport murder suspect Damon Dixson taken into custody in Rockford
- Local gas station employee arrested for selling liquor to minor
- Renewable Fuel Standard delay ‘a mixed blessing,’ Bustos says
- Rockford delegation presents inaugural ‘Rockford Award’ to Norwegian Air
- Education in Illinois making slow progress, according to report
- Illinois GOP Congressional delegation: Obama’s immigration plan undermines rule of law
- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
Winnebago County Green Dish Award
Winner of critics’ choice award: SOCIAL Urban Bar & Restaurant, 509 E. State Street. Rockford. Chef Bob McCarty.
Pork Rillete with Assorted Homemade Pickles, Mustard and Crostini: Eickman’s pork shoulder, minced shallots, minced garlic, minced fresh herbs, pork fat, homemade pork stock, salt and pepper to taste.
Slow braise pork shoulder at 300 degrees until falling off the bone. Sauté shallots and garlic in oil until softened and translucent. Shred meat when cool and put into mixing bowl along with sautéed shallots, fresh garlic, fresh herbs, pork stock, salt, pepper and pork fat. Combine well and pack in lined terrine and chill in refrigerator overnight. Unmold slice and serve on crostini topped with finishing salt and Dijon mustard.
Pickled Carrots: Organic carrots, vinegar, whole cumin, whole garlic cloves, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, water.
Pickled Walla Walla onions: Organic onions sliced, cider vinegar, cloves, whole black peppercorns, water.
Pickled Beets: Organic beets peeled and sliced, red vinegar, bay leaf, whole black peppercorns, water.
Boil water along with herbs and spices. Let simmer until infused. Pour over vegetables and refrigerate overnight.
Mustard: Dried mustard and craft beer mixed with locally grown thyme, sage, oregano. Add salt to taste. Gluten free! Enjoy!
Next week: The ingredients from the second-place winner and the winner of the People’s Choice Award—Executive Chef Randall Smith, and the Best Western Clock Tower Resort & Conference Center and CoCo
Key Water Resort.
From the Oct. 13-19, 2010 issue