- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Winnebago County Green Dish Award
Winner of critics’ choice award: SOCIAL Urban Bar & Restaurant, 509 E. State Street. Rockford. Chef Bob McCarty.
Pork Rillete with Assorted Homemade Pickles, Mustard and Crostini: Eickman’s pork shoulder, minced shallots, minced garlic, minced fresh herbs, pork fat, homemade pork stock, salt and pepper to taste.
Slow braise pork shoulder at 300 degrees until falling off the bone. Sauté shallots and garlic in oil until softened and translucent. Shred meat when cool and put into mixing bowl along with sautéed shallots, fresh garlic, fresh herbs, pork stock, salt, pepper and pork fat. Combine well and pack in lined terrine and chill in refrigerator overnight. Unmold slice and serve on crostini topped with finishing salt and Dijon mustard.
Pickled Carrots: Organic carrots, vinegar, whole cumin, whole garlic cloves, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, water.
Pickled Walla Walla onions: Organic onions sliced, cider vinegar, cloves, whole black peppercorns, water.
Pickled Beets: Organic beets peeled and sliced, red vinegar, bay leaf, whole black peppercorns, water.
Boil water along with herbs and spices. Let simmer until infused. Pour over vegetables and refrigerate overnight.
Mustard: Dried mustard and craft beer mixed with locally grown thyme, sage, oregano. Add salt to taste. Gluten free! Enjoy!
Next week: The ingredients from the second-place winner and the winner of the People’s Choice Award—Executive Chef Randall Smith, and the Best Western Clock Tower Resort & Conference Center and CoCo
Key Water Resort.
From the Oct. 13-19, 2010 issue