- Three female fugitives wanted in New Jersey restaurant theft arrested in Illinois
- Man guilty in 2012 crash into home that injured 8-year-old
- McDonald’s: Federal complaint says company is joint employer
- T-Mobile settlement: $90M for cell phone bill cramming
- Shelter Care Ministries gets $30,000 grant
- Even more dead bees?
- Holiday travel: 98.6 million plan getaway, most on record
- Scam artists posing as utility reps, demanding payment
- Holiday mailing deadlines approach, Rockford Post Office warns
- Hispanics more than half of all renters, yet most are uninsured
Winnebago County Green Dish Award
Winner of critics’ choice award: SOCIAL Urban Bar & Restaurant, 509 E. State Street. Rockford. Chef Bob McCarty.
Pork Rillete with Assorted Homemade Pickles, Mustard and Crostini: Eickman’s pork shoulder, minced shallots, minced garlic, minced fresh herbs, pork fat, homemade pork stock, salt and pepper to taste.
Slow braise pork shoulder at 300 degrees until falling off the bone. Sauté shallots and garlic in oil until softened and translucent. Shred meat when cool and put into mixing bowl along with sautéed shallots, fresh garlic, fresh herbs, pork stock, salt, pepper and pork fat. Combine well and pack in lined terrine and chill in refrigerator overnight. Unmold slice and serve on crostini topped with finishing salt and Dijon mustard.
Pickled Carrots: Organic carrots, vinegar, whole cumin, whole garlic cloves, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, water.
Pickled Walla Walla onions: Organic onions sliced, cider vinegar, cloves, whole black peppercorns, water.
Pickled Beets: Organic beets peeled and sliced, red vinegar, bay leaf, whole black peppercorns, water.
Boil water along with herbs and spices. Let simmer until infused. Pour over vegetables and refrigerate overnight.
Mustard: Dried mustard and craft beer mixed with locally grown thyme, sage, oregano. Add salt to taste. Gluten free! Enjoy!
Next week: The ingredients from the second-place winner and the winner of the People’s Choice Award—Executive Chef Randall Smith, and the Best Western Clock Tower Resort & Conference Center and CoCo
Key Water Resort.
From the Oct. 13-19, 2010 issue