- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
- Nov. 2 concert celebrates release of Jodi Beach’s sixth recording
- Healthy Halloween Party Nov. 1 at U of I College of Medicine at Rockford
- Three local NFL Flag Football teams head to regional competition
- ‘Hoo’ Haven hosts annual open house Nov. 2 in Durand
Discovery Center, Burpee team up for Oct. 23 Halloween party
From press release
Discovery Center Museum and the Burpee Museum of Natural History will join forces to host a Halloween party for children from 6 to 9 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 23. The event will be spooky enough for haunt-seekers, but friendly enough for all ages.
Grab a goody bag and go in costume as you celebrate Halloween at both museums. Following is a list of activities included in the event, broken down by museum:
→ Discovery Center Museum—Make real slime; play with black light; become enchanted with the spook-tacular moves of Rockford Dance Company’s DanceReach student performers; decorate spooky ghosts with the help of staff at the Rockford Art Museum; meet famous “dead” scientists and enjoy their “Dead Science Demonstrations”; make spooky art; and earn a “Nobel” prize for your costume.
→ Burpee Museum of Natural History—Bring your own flashlight and sneak through three floors of Burpee’s creepy collections; see live creepy crawlies; listen to “night sounds”; make a bat mask; and dare to enter a haunted house (for ages 10 and older).
Admission will be $8 per person for the public or $4 per person for members of either museum. Admission will include admission to both Burpee and Discovery Center as well as all related activities. The Grossology exhibition will not be open during the event. Parking is free at 711 N. Main St. or 737 N. Main St.
From the Oct. 20-26, 2010 issue