- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
Ethnic Heritage Museum profiles Irish businesses
From press release
Sunday, Oct. 24, the Irish Gallery honors two more Irish businesses that join the Camera Craft Photography exhibit at the Ethnic Heritage Museum (EHM), 1129 S. Main St., Rockford. These new exhibits show the early beginnings of Geraghty and Fitzgerald Funeral Home.
An open house runs from 2-4 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 24. The exhibits will be up through Nov. 28, with free-will offerings for the museum accepted.
At the open house, Joe Geraghty Jr. will share recollections from the family business, Geraghty Costumes, formerly on East State Street, where the City Hall addition is now situated. This was a place to rent tuxedos, costumes and wigs, especially for Halloween.
Another exhibit honors longtime Irish family business Fitzgerald Funeral Home. The business started in 1914 with a joint ownership of Frank Fitzgerald and William Murphy. Fitzgerald Funeral Home had the government contract to take care of any deaths at Rockford’s Camp Grant during World War I. The business passed along to Frank’s son and later grandson in 1973. Fitzgerald Funeral Home started on Rockford’s west side and now has two locations—one at Rockton and Riverside and the other on Mulford Road. Tom Fitzgerald will be at EHM Oct. 24 to discuss the Fitzgerald Funeral Home history.
Visit ethnicheritagemuseum.org, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (815) 962-7402 for more details.
From the Oct. 20-26, 2010 issue