- Suspect, 17, charged in Halloween hit-and-run in Roscoe
- Saint Anthony College of Nursing president to retire
- Man found guilty in deadly August 2013 crash at Mulford and Garrett Lane
- ‘The Price is Right Live!’ at Coronado March 1; tickets on sale Nov. 21
- Rockford’s E. Faye Butler to perform at Ten Chimneys in Wisconsin
- Stockholm Inn to be honored by Illinois Office of Tourism
- Winnebago County Sheriff’s Office to be out in force during Thanksgiving holiday
- Wallace co-sponsors bill to increase minimum wage
- Stadelman’s measure to prevent layoffs passes state Senate
- More than 46 million Americans to travel for Thanksgiving, most since 2007
‘Casualties of War Salute’ Nov. 11
From press release
The Vietnam Veterans’ Honor Society (VVHS) will hold a special Veterans Day Remembrance and ‘Casualties of War Salute’ Nov. 11, Veterans Day. The event is scheduled for 11 a.m. at the L Z Peace Memorial, Midway Village & Museum Center, 6799 Guilford Road (northwest corner) in Rockford. The VVHS will be remembering and honoring all who have served and are serving our country.
The Society will also hold a special ceremony for the addition and unveiling on the wall of a Vietnam veteran whose name will be engraved on the Memorial wall. He died of Agent Orange complications from his service in Vietnam.
Speakers will be Paul Logli, Sheriff Richard Meyers, Mike Lenker (former POW) and Mike Todryk, Casualties of War chairman and a Vietnam vet, who will speak and introduce the family of the veteran at this ceremony.
Nicholas Parnello (“Black Jack Six”), president of the Vietnam Veterans’ Honor Society, said: “There’s no greater day—no more wonderful way to honor our deceased veterans, but also certainly, our living veterans who are still fighting. We can take this time to reflect on all their sacrifices. Our freedoms were given to us by all these veterans who fought. It’s an honor to honor them. We welcome everybody to come out. The ceremony is not only for Vietnam veterans, but all veterans from all wars.”
From the Nov. 3-9, 2010 issue