- Keeping up with Aida: A western adventure, part three
- State prepares for thousands of medical marijuana applications
- Rockford’s Choices Natural Market celebrates Non-GMO Month
- Week 5 NFL picks: Lions to improve to 4-1, Packers and Bears will keep pace at 3-2
- Craft Beer Scene Around Rockford: Revolution Brewing’s Oktoberfest offers good all-around balance
- Rockford’s Fall ArtScene at 37 locations Oct. 3-4
- Tales from the Trough: Preseason interview with ‘The Voice of the IceHogs,’ Mike Peck
- Mr. Green Car: Saltwater-powered car: the Quant e-Sportlimousine
- Charges re-filed against seven Hells Angels
- Tube Talk: Addicted to ‘Rehab Addict’
‘Casualties of War Salute’ Nov. 11
From press release
The Vietnam Veterans’ Honor Society (VVHS) will hold a special Veterans Day Remembrance and ‘Casualties of War Salute’ Nov. 11, Veterans Day. The event is scheduled for 11 a.m. at the L Z Peace Memorial, Midway Village & Museum Center, 6799 Guilford Road (northwest corner) in Rockford. The VVHS will be remembering and honoring all who have served and are serving our country.
The Society will also hold a special ceremony for the addition and unveiling on the wall of a Vietnam veteran whose name will be engraved on the Memorial wall. He died of Agent Orange complications from his service in Vietnam.
Speakers will be Paul Logli, Sheriff Richard Meyers, Mike Lenker (former POW) and Mike Todryk, Casualties of War chairman and a Vietnam vet, who will speak and introduce the family of the veteran at this ceremony.
Nicholas Parnello (“Black Jack Six”), president of the Vietnam Veterans’ Honor Society, said: “There’s no greater day—no more wonderful way to honor our deceased veterans, but also certainly, our living veterans who are still fighting. We can take this time to reflect on all their sacrifices. Our freedoms were given to us by all these veterans who fought. It’s an honor to honor them. We welcome everybody to come out. The ceremony is not only for Vietnam veterans, but all veterans from all wars.”
From the Nov. 3-9, 2010 issue