- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
Downtown businesses offer First Friday events Nov. 5
From press release
The Element has announced another installment of First Fridays from 5 p.m. to midnight, Friday, Nov. 5. The following venues will be participating in the event:
• Sullivan Theater—Rockford Sketch Comedy presents “Rockford: Strip mall after magnificent strip mall,” a show written and performed by Second City alums Jeff Schroeder and Patrick Jeter. Buy tickets for $8 in advance at Kryptonite or $10 the night of show. Doors open at 8 p.m. and show starts at 8:30 p.m.
• Kryptonite Bar—EVAP Group Artist Show: 5-9 p.m. Grammy nominee Matthew Santos with special guest David Hayes will perform live on stage. Visit kryptonitebar.com for more information.
• Prairie Street Gallery—Group Artist Show: “3 Degrees of Separation.” Twenty-five artists tied by the thin thread of a social network unite to exhibit art. 5-9 p.m. Visit prairiestreetgallery.wordpress.com for more information about the show.
• Kortman Gallery—Matthew Johansson: “Suburban Still Life.” Bar will be open. Dot sale includes 20-30 percent off selected items. 5-9 p.m. Visit jrkortman.com for details.
• Tom Littrell Design—“DO IT!: Meet the artists, be an artist!” Tom Littrell Design will supply materials, and you create the artwork. 5-9 p.m. Visit tomlittrelldesign.com for more information.
• Irish Rose Saloon—Mike Donze: A Rockford Original, his tunes and more. 9:30 p.m.-midnight. Visit irishrosesaloon.net.
• Cholke dCapri Photography & Fine Art Gallery—“Converging Paths” art show: Live music by Paul and Karli Smith. 7:30-10 p.m. Visit cholkedcapri.com.
• Katie’s Cup—Senior Kari McDonald’s bachelor of fine arts printmaking show from Northern Illinois University titled “A Calm Within.” 5-8:30 p.m. Visit katiescup.com.
• Wired Café—First Fridays Special: Buy one drink, get the second (equal or lesser value) half off. Coffees and desserts until 8 p.m. (kitchen closes at 6 p.m.). Art by Maggie Mae Douglas will be featured. Visit wiredcaferockford.com for details.
• Swank Boutique & Gallery—Group Artist Show: “Up in Odds,” 5-9 p.m.
• Scratch Pedicure Parlour & Plush Gift Gallery—First Fridays Special: 10 percent off any service booked during First Fridays and 15 percent off one item in Plush Gift Gallery. Open until 9 p.m.
• Mary’s Place—Kelly Steward Band: Solo no more, Kelly put a band together. Head down to Mary’s and hear the new sound. 9:30 p.m. Visit marysplacebar.net.
For more information, a schedule or links to these venues, visit firstfridaysrockford.com.
From the Nov. 3-9, 2010, issue