- Commentary: Walker’s budget calls for schools to stop reporting sexual assaults
- Wallace hopes for redevelopment expansion
- Teravainen makes instant impact on return to ‘Hawks
- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
‘Make It & Take It’ tatting, crocheting workshop Nov. 7
From press release
Ethnic Heritage Museum (EHM) will host a workshop about tatting and crocheting from 2 to 4 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 7. Erin Burke and Leah Nelson will demonstrate and share their experiences in this beautiful lost art.
Burke has been involved in needle arts since she learned it from her mother at the age of 6. Not only does she enjoy needle art, she tats, knits and sews. Burke, a Rockford native, is a member of Prairie Mill Lacemakers.
Nelson made her first two-piece suit at age 10 and has been sewing for many years. She enjoys creating art out of fabric. Her interests include: crochet, knit, macrame tatting and more.
For $3, you may choose from one of the many “Make It & Take It” kits. Visitors need not bring anything to use, but will come away with what they have created. To participate in the “Make It & Take It” workshop, contact Shirley Martignoni Fedeli at (815) 877-2888.
This “Make It & Take It” workshop is part of the “Summer Weddings: Italian Style” exhibit, on display until Nov. 28.
EHM, 1129 S. Main St., is unique in its blend of ethnic groups: African-American, Italian, Lithuanian, Irish, Hispanic and Polish.
Admission to visit the museum is free to the public, but donations are appreciated.
For more information, visit ethnicheritagemuseum.org or e-mail email@example.com. Group tours can be arranged by contacting the museum at (815) 962-7402 or e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org. The museum is handicap accessible.
From the Nov. 3-9, 2010 issue