- Guest Commentary: Earth Day or April Fools Day?
- State Roundup: Concerns raised about proposed change in DUI pot standard
- Bill would decrease pot penalties; small amounts would draw only ticket, fine
- Senate votes to restore human service cuts; bill moves to House for consideration
- Bill to restrict red light cameras passes House
- State Roundup: Budget fix in current FY not yet done
- State Roundup: GOMB Director won’t support borrowing
- Economists: pros, cons to raising the state fuel tax
- ‘Hogs fall just shy of Midwest title
- Fork and Stein Urban Gourmet delivers beer infused delicacies to Rockford
Boylan wins state soccer championship
By Matt Nestor
It took six overtimes spread out over two games, but after a long, drawn out-weekend, the Boylan Titans captured the IHSA Class 3A boys’ soccer championship.
The weekend started with a marathon of a game Friday night (Nov. 5) at North Central College in Naperville, Ill.
Facing Edwardsville in the semifinals, the Titans scored in the first half on a goal by Victor Zamora. The Titans held that lead for 33 minutes before Edwardsville scored on a goal by Sam Fink.
From there, the teams played four scoreless overtimes before heading to penalty kicks to determine who would move on to the finals.
After Zamora made the Titans’ first penalty kick, Boylan was stopped on their next two, while Edwardsville made three of their first four kicks.
But the Titans, led by goalie Tim Dobrowolski, held tight on the last two kicks, and Boylan made their final three kicks to win 4-3 in penalty kicks and move on to the finals.
Against Libertyville in the finals, Ryan Howe and Zamora both scored in the first half after the Titans fell behind 1-0. Again, the Titans held their 2-1 lead for most of the game before Griffin Pils scored late in the second half to send the game into overtime.
This time, the Titans only needed two overtimes. Homero Jordan scored on a goal assisted by Nick Kind to give the Titans a 3-2 victory and the state title, the first in school history.
From the Nov. 10-16, 2010 issue