- Academic Dr. Duke Pesta speaks against Common Core, part 2
- Rockford Record Crawl 2014 celebrates music, indie retailers
- Early voting continues after ballot error corrected
- Caruana outpacing Springer in money race for sheriff
- Week 8 NFL picks: Lions, Packers will continue to share NFC North lead
- Impacts of low oil prices
- Monica Lewinsky takes aim at online bullying
- Beware of online Halloween scams
- Rockton Lions raise funds for Talcott Free Library during Oct. 10 Candy Day
- Former Belvidere North teacher pleads guilty to sex charge
Taxpayers demand accountability from school district
Shannon Symonds of Rockford holds a protest sign outside the District 205 Administration Building, 201 S. Madison St., Tuesday, Nov. 9, at a concerned taxpayers’ rally organized by the local grassroots organization Watchdogs for Ethics in Education. More than 50 citizens gathered to voice their concern over the district’s spending habits. For more about the taxpayers’ rally, including Superintendent Dr. LaVonne M. Sheffield’s response to her critics, click here.
Symonds’ sign, which reads “Release Hardy’s Letter,” refers to District 205’s refusal to release an unflattering letter written by former Rockford Auburn High School Principal and current Freeport High School Principal Dr. Patrick Hardy. The Rock River Times and the Illinois Press Association have filed suit against the district for its noncompliance with the Freedom of Information Act. For the latest about the lawsuit, read “Preliminary hearing in IPA, TRRT suit against District 205 Feb. 2,” or “IPA, TRRT file suit against District 205, LaVonne Sheffield“.
From the Nov. 10-16, 2010, issue