- Oregon mayor reacts to Exelon talk of closing nuclear plant
- GiGi’s benefit for Down syndrome, March 21
- What’s the future hold for Rose?
- ‘Hogs keep pace in tight Midwest
- Qatar continues to confound
- Meet John Doe: Keep public notices in print
- Commentary: Rauner’s minimum wage plan just more of the same from GOP
- Tube Talk: A bite out of the competition
- Rockford Rocked: A chat with local musician Tony Walker
- Drafts & Fare: Women brewers find more recognition in market
Taxpayers demand accountability from school district
Shannon Symonds of Rockford holds a protest sign outside the District 205 Administration Building, 201 S. Madison St., Tuesday, Nov. 9, at a concerned taxpayers’ rally organized by the local grassroots organization Watchdogs for Ethics in Education. More than 50 citizens gathered to voice their concern over the district’s spending habits. For more about the taxpayers’ rally, including Superintendent Dr. LaVonne M. Sheffield’s response to her critics, click here.
Symonds’ sign, which reads “Release Hardy’s Letter,” refers to District 205’s refusal to release an unflattering letter written by former Rockford Auburn High School Principal and current Freeport High School Principal Dr. Patrick Hardy. The Rock River Times and the Illinois Press Association have filed suit against the district for its noncompliance with the Freedom of Information Act. For the latest about the lawsuit, read “Preliminary hearing in IPA, TRRT suit against District 205 Feb. 2,” or “IPA, TRRT file suit against District 205, LaVonne Sheffield“.
From the Nov. 10-16, 2010, issue