- Man sentenced to 12 years in fatal hit-and-run
- White House fence jumper charged with kicking Secret Service dogs
- Man arrested on child pornography charges
- Woman hit with liquor bottle during home invasion
- Police arrest robbery suspect
- Rockford area trick-or-treat times
- The Odds Man: Three road dogs good bets in NFL Week 8
- IceHogs nipped in third period, return home Saturday
- BGA sues Chicago Police Department over transparency
- Clean water groups highlight progress for Apple River, call for more success stories
Taxpayers demand accountability from school district
Shannon Symonds of Rockford holds a protest sign outside the District 205 Administration Building, 201 S. Madison St., Tuesday, Nov. 9, at a concerned taxpayers’ rally organized by the local grassroots organization Watchdogs for Ethics in Education. More than 50 citizens gathered to voice their concern over the district’s spending habits. For more about the taxpayers’ rally, including Superintendent Dr. LaVonne M. Sheffield’s response to her critics, click here.
Symonds’ sign, which reads “Release Hardy’s Letter,” refers to District 205’s refusal to release an unflattering letter written by former Rockford Auburn High School Principal and current Freeport High School Principal Dr. Patrick Hardy. The Rock River Times and the Illinois Press Association have filed suit against the district for its noncompliance with the Freedom of Information Act. For the latest about the lawsuit, read “Preliminary hearing in IPA, TRRT suit against District 205 Feb. 2,” or “IPA, TRRT file suit against District 205, LaVonne Sheffield“.
From the Nov. 10-16, 2010, issue