- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Taxpayers demand accountability from school district
Shannon Symonds of Rockford holds a protest sign outside the District 205 Administration Building, 201 S. Madison St., Tuesday, Nov. 9, at a concerned taxpayers’ rally organized by the local grassroots organization Watchdogs for Ethics in Education. More than 50 citizens gathered to voice their concern over the district’s spending habits. For more about the taxpayers’ rally, including Superintendent Dr. LaVonne M. Sheffield’s response to her critics, click here.
Symonds’ sign, which reads “Release Hardy’s Letter,” refers to District 205’s refusal to release an unflattering letter written by former Rockford Auburn High School Principal and current Freeport High School Principal Dr. Patrick Hardy. The Rock River Times and the Illinois Press Association have filed suit against the district for its noncompliance with the Freedom of Information Act. For the latest about the lawsuit, read “Preliminary hearing in IPA, TRRT suit against District 205 Feb. 2,” or “IPA, TRRT file suit against District 205, LaVonne Sheffield“.
From the Nov. 10-16, 2010, issue