- The Odds Man: NFL QBs holding up Vegas in Week 9
- Murder charges filed in crash that killed Rockford attorney
- General Election Endorsements: Re-elect Madigan, Kinzinger
- IceHogs squeak by Grand Rapids behind strong Leighton showing
- Celebrate Dia de los Muertos at Riverfront Museum Park campus Nov. 1
- Lee Hamilton: Some thoughts on governing
- Top of Illinois Veterans Stand Down Oct. 31 in Rockford
- CUB shares list of worst customer horror stories
- Park District receives Governor’s Sustainability Award
- Park District’s ‘Ties & Tennies’ fund-raiser Nov. 14; deadline Nov. 6
To the Editor: Keep eyes on the new county board
To the Voters of County Board District Five:
I lost my re-election bid, but it has been my honor to serve you the past four years as one of your county board members. During that time, I met many wonderful residents and learned much from you. As your board member, it was also my goal to serve and educate. In that regard, please keep a careful watch on the new board. A majority of the current board members voted to raise the county property tax rate, and will likely do so next year. Also, while the board passed a 2030 Land Use Plan over a year ago, we have not updated our zoning laws to match the plan. So here we sit, with a new plan, old laws, and a new board laden with developers and real estate agents. That doesn’t make them bad people, but I would have preferred a more balanced board reviewing the new zoning laws. Most importantly, continue to make your voices heard: write this paper, attend board meetings, and contact your elected officials regularly.
Thank you again for giving me the opportunity to serve you.
From the Nov. 10-16, 2010 issue