- 13 arrested in FIFA probe
- Rockford Rocked Interview with Paul Bronson
- State Roundup: House passes youth concussion legislation
- Moving out
- Illinois’ guaranteed-tuition law making college less affordable
- ‘Ex Machina’ a pick for awards season
- FIFA officials arrested, extradition to US on the cards
- TRRT Online Edition | May 27-June 2
- RAA says legal opinion validates ordinance concerns
- Perfect? Not quite, but Wagner’s latest is up to the task
To the Editor: Keep eyes on the new county board
To the Voters of County Board District Five:
I lost my re-election bid, but it has been my honor to serve you the past four years as one of your county board members. During that time, I met many wonderful residents and learned much from you. As your board member, it was also my goal to serve and educate. In that regard, please keep a careful watch on the new board. A majority of the current board members voted to raise the county property tax rate, and will likely do so next year. Also, while the board passed a 2030 Land Use Plan over a year ago, we have not updated our zoning laws to match the plan. So here we sit, with a new plan, old laws, and a new board laden with developers and real estate agents. That doesn’t make them bad people, but I would have preferred a more balanced board reviewing the new zoning laws. Most importantly, continue to make your voices heard: write this paper, attend board meetings, and contact your elected officials regularly.
Thank you again for giving me the opportunity to serve you.
From the Nov. 10-16, 2010 issue