- Lee Hamilton: President, Congress should work together on military intervention
- Ethnic Parade and Festival Sunday, Sept. 21
- Symphony begins 80th season Sept. 20
- Vikings bar Adrian Peterson from team activities
- Mr. Green Car: A car from your printer
- Candle Crest owners to open their first store and manufacturing operation in Rockford
- DuPont ordered to pay $1.85M for killing trees
- Rockford hosts America’s largest World War II-era re-enactment Sept. 20-21
- Guest Column: Former alderman: Rail station should be on Cedar Street
- A visit to The Wall That Heals
Veterans Memorial Hall opens new exhibit honoring Maj. Gen. John L. Borling
From press release
The public is invited to the grand opening weekend of the Major General John L. Borling Exhibit at Veterans Memorial Hall, 211 N. Main St. The exhibit begins Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 13-14. Hours are 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, and noon-4 p.m Sunday. Admission is free.
Join the veterans as they unveil the many medals and military citations awarded to Gen. Borling. His career will be featured as a present-day military legend along with artifacts and memorabilia he collected during his service to his country. You will experience firsthand how he persevered in continuing his military career after the POW and Vietnam years. He became a successful businessman and CEO of several companies.
Throughout his life, Gen. Borling has valued service over self to his country, state and community.
Veterans Memorial Hall is honored to present Gen. Borling in person during the weekend grand opening. He will give insight and firsthand accounts of many of the items on display. Some of the topics he will present are his fighter pilot training and missions, “(Hanoi) Hilton Stories,” what it was like to be a POW (Prisoner of War), Checkmate, what is it and why is it important.
Pictures of the General with visitors to Veterans Memorial Hall will be available for purchase and signing as well as autographed excerpts of his book detailing his captivity.
Maj. Gen. Borling became a rising star at the Air Force Academy and upon graduation became a fighter pilot, flight instructor and Commander. His military achievements are numerous. Many of his achievements are listed and may be viewed at: http://www.af.mil/information/bios/bio.asp?bioID=4742.