- Email phishing scams escalate, BBB reports
- SwedishAmerican merges, becomes division of UW Health
- Aaron Rodgers has Jay Cutler’s back, even if the Bears don’t
- Police investigate home invasion on Applewood Lane
- Amy Newell named The Arc executive director
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: A chat with Rockford native Larry Merryman of Stonefront
- Technological assessment is needed
- Consumer advocates prep for looming telecom battle
- National Council of Churches president to speak in Rockford Sunday, Dec. 28
- RSO’s Holiday Pops set for Dec. 20-21 at Coronado
This week in The Times: Ronda Lorenz
Vitals: Ronda Lorenz, 47, of Beloit, Wis., is a native of Iowa. Lorenz is hosting a fund-raiser for Lucas Seefeldt, 12, who suffers from Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL). Lucas was diagnosed with ALL Aug. 15, 2010. The fund-raiser will be at Mike’s Road House in Beloit, Wis., at 2 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 20. All proceeds will help lessen the financial burden on Lucas’ family.
1. How has Lucas responded to being diagnosed with ALL? At first, he was shocked, but now he is starting to deal with it. When I first saw him in the hospital, he cried a lot because he was scared. He’s been struggling with chemotherapy lately because his white blood cell count is so low. That’s meant he’s had to have blood transfusions. But I told him that we were going to fight this, and he seems dedicated to doing so.
2. Why should people attend the Nov. 20 fund-raiser? Lucas’ mother’s home needs to be almost completely redone to suit Lucas’ health concerns. It takes a considerable amount of money to make the house good for Lucas. Plus, he has to take weekly trips to Madison – sometimes two and three times per week – for therapy. Plus, his medication is expensive. So, people should come to this fund-raiser to help Lucas’ family and Lucas financially.
3. What can those attending the fund-raiser expect? There will be food and a band, Short Circuit, providing live entertainment. Also, DJ Chad Pavia will be there spinning records. The Jamie Campbell Band will also take the stage at around 9:30. Also, BMC Tickets from Rockford donated two Bears vs. Jets tickets, and S&K Limo donated transportation to the game. These will be raffled off as prizes. So, there will be plenty of good food and good entertainment to benefit this good cause.
4. Lucas loves the outdoors. How has ALL impacted his normal activities? He loves the outdoors, and even more so, he loves fishing. He’s not as able as he was to enjoy animals and the outdoors due to the ALL. His life has completely changed, as you would expect.
5. How has Lucas responded to the many different medications and treatments he must now endure? He’s been a champ. He’s been very good about everything. He has his bad days, don’t get me wrong. But, all in all, he’s been very strong.
“This week in The Times” is a weekly survey of people selected by The Rock River Times staff. The column does not accept unsolicited submissions.
From the Nov. 17-23, 2010 issue