- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
- Supreme Court and gay marriage — U of I expert weighs in
- More than 6,100 residents of Winnebago County enrolled in Marketplace
- First large U.S. delegation to visit Cuba since opening of relations
- Merger complete for Illinois Bank & Trust, Galena State Bank
- Crusader welcomes Dr. Maria Lozano Vazquez
Holiday Tree Lighting, Festival of Lights event Nov. 28
From press release
Gather family and friends for the sights, sounds, and fun of the holiday season to enjoy the free annual Holiday Tree Lighting hosted by Rockford Park District from 4 to 5:30 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 28, at Sinnissippi Park, 1401 N. Second St., Rockford. This is the second year at this location because of the construction of the Nicholas Conservatory & Gardens.
Festivities begin at 4 p.m. with free activities for kids, photos with Santa and friends until 5:15 p.m., and music by the Kantorei Singing Boys of Rockford until 5 p.m. Santa and friends will light the holiday tree at 5:30 p.m.
Treats and beverages will be available for purchase, with proceeds to benefit the Friends of Lockwood Park volunteer efforts.
Event parking will be available in Sinnissippi Park.
For more about the Rockford Park District community tree lighting, including accessibility for people with disabilities attending the event, call (815) 987-8800.
The 22nd annual presentation of the Festival of Lights will open at 6:30 p.m., Sunday, Nov. 28. The holiday light displays are created by local groups and businesses; the display hours are 5-10 p.m., Thursday-Sunday evenings, Dec. 2, 2010-Jan. 2, 2011. Letters for Santa can be dropped off at the “North Pole Express” mailbox through Dec. 17 (include a return address for Santa’s reply). Dec. 24, the festival will be open all night. Admission is free, donations are appreciated. Vote online for the best display at mystateline.com. For more information about Festival of Lights, visit rockfordfireandice.com or call Project First Rate at (815) 965-0768.
For more information, contact Sue Howard, Rockford Park District Arts & Events Program coordinator, at (815) 987-1603.
From the Nov. 24-30, 2010 issue