- FIFA adds prison labor to its arsenal
- Sitting on a scoop: the story behind the V-E headlines of May 1945
- Bilderback repeats at Speedway
- US permits Arctic drilling, but questions about safety remain
- ISIS takeover of Ramadi means hard choices face the Iraqi and US governments
- State Roundup: Democrat sponsored prevailing wage amendment passes
- Facebook’s Instant Articles not a threat to media
- U of I expert: Rauner’s pension fix ‘unconstitutional’
- State Senate approves lesser penalties for marijuana possession
- State Roundup: Natural gas vehicle tax stalls in committee
Lance Cpl. Darlene Diaz returning home celebration
From press release
Veterans Day may be over, but you are invited to join in celebrating the return of local veteran, Lance Cpl. Darlene Diaz from her tour of duty in Afghanistan. The celebration will be at 3 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 27, at Salon La Canasta, 522 S. State St., Belvidere, Ill.
Lance Cpl. Diaz, a 2008 graduate of Belvidere High School, was a member of the newly-formed Female Engagement Team (FET). FET is the military’s name for four- and five-female member units that accompany men on patrol in Helmand Province to try to win over the rural Afghan women who are culturally off limits to outside men.
Diaz was deployed to Afghanistan in March and just returned home this November. Join her family and friends at Salon La Canasta to thank her for her service. For more information, contact Amalia Diaz de Leon at (815) 987-5711 or Lance Cpl. Diaz at (815) 608-2855.
From the Nov. 24-30, 2010 issue