- Hospitals lift visitor age restrictions as number of flu cases decreases
- Winnebago County sheriff names chief deputy
- URGENT: Four votes and we could lose on Keystone
- Guest Column: Housing Authority CEO: Time to unify behind quality living
- Rockford police investigate 17th Street murder
- Clean water under attack in the U.S. Congress
- Man faces charges following attempted armed robbery
- Discovery Center experiences record public attendance
- Pet Talk: Probiotics for your pets
- Illinois home prices climb 3.7 percent in December
Lance Cpl. Darlene Diaz returning home celebration
From press release
Veterans Day may be over, but you are invited to join in celebrating the return of local veteran, Lance Cpl. Darlene Diaz from her tour of duty in Afghanistan. The celebration will be at 3 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 27, at Salon La Canasta, 522 S. State St., Belvidere, Ill.
Lance Cpl. Diaz, a 2008 graduate of Belvidere High School, was a member of the newly-formed Female Engagement Team (FET). FET is the military’s name for four- and five-female member units that accompany men on patrol in Helmand Province to try to win over the rural Afghan women who are culturally off limits to outside men.
Diaz was deployed to Afghanistan in March and just returned home this November. Join her family and friends at Salon La Canasta to thank her for her service. For more information, contact Amalia Diaz de Leon at (815) 987-5711 or Lance Cpl. Diaz at (815) 608-2855.
From the Nov. 24-30, 2010 issue