- Email phishing scams escalate, BBB reports
- SwedishAmerican merges, becomes division of UW Health
- Aaron Rodgers has Jay Cutler’s back, even if the Bears don’t
- Police investigate home invasion on Applewood Lane
- Amy Newell named The Arc executive director
- Rockford Rocked Interviews: A chat with Rockford native Larry Merryman of Stonefront
- Technological assessment is needed
- Consumer advocates prep for looming telecom battle
- National Council of Churches president to speak in Rockford Sunday, Dec. 28
- RSO’s Holiday Pops set for Dec. 20-21 at Coronado
Lance Cpl. Darlene Diaz returning home celebration
From press release
Veterans Day may be over, but you are invited to join in celebrating the return of local veteran, Lance Cpl. Darlene Diaz from her tour of duty in Afghanistan. The celebration will be at 3 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 27, at Salon La Canasta, 522 S. State St., Belvidere, Ill.
Lance Cpl. Diaz, a 2008 graduate of Belvidere High School, was a member of the newly-formed Female Engagement Team (FET). FET is the military’s name for four- and five-female member units that accompany men on patrol in Helmand Province to try to win over the rural Afghan women who are culturally off limits to outside men.
Diaz was deployed to Afghanistan in March and just returned home this November. Join her family and friends at Salon La Canasta to thank her for her service. For more information, contact Amalia Diaz de Leon at (815) 987-5711 or Lance Cpl. Diaz at (815) 608-2855.
From the Nov. 24-30, 2010 issue