- Tech-Friendly: Get the LG G Flex 2 and other big smartphones at U.S. Cellular
- State Roundup: Unfunded pension liability greater impact than fluctuating revenue
- ‘Death tax’ rhetoric doesn’t address the facts
- ‘We’re back': second ‘Star Wars’ teaser drops
- Sunday Service: Legalizing competition in Illinois’ auto industry
- Cullerton: Don’t bet on right-to-work zones
- State Roundup: Rauner continues “Turnaround” pitch
- Open Government: Improved FOIA laws crucial
- Legislators ask Rauner to pony up pension details
- Rockford Art Deli providing homegrown artists a place to flourish
Lance Cpl. Darlene Diaz returning home celebration
From press release
Veterans Day may be over, but you are invited to join in celebrating the return of local veteran, Lance Cpl. Darlene Diaz from her tour of duty in Afghanistan. The celebration will be at 3 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 27, at Salon La Canasta, 522 S. State St., Belvidere, Ill.
Lance Cpl. Diaz, a 2008 graduate of Belvidere High School, was a member of the newly-formed Female Engagement Team (FET). FET is the military’s name for four- and five-female member units that accompany men on patrol in Helmand Province to try to win over the rural Afghan women who are culturally off limits to outside men.
Diaz was deployed to Afghanistan in March and just returned home this November. Join her family and friends at Salon La Canasta to thank her for her service. For more information, contact Amalia Diaz de Leon at (815) 987-5711 or Lance Cpl. Diaz at (815) 608-2855.
From the Nov. 24-30, 2010 issue